A Very Happy {Birth}Day

I got thinking today that it has been too long since I last posted...I haven't even posted about my hubby's birthday yet...and that was back in June! So...prepare yourself for a lot of updates about the Allan's. :)

So first update...Marc had a very happy birthday. The celebrations were spread out over the entire weekend, but on his actual birthday, we headed over to Thanksgiving Point to the Scottish Festival. Marc and his brother, Collin, were very interested in the Strong Man competition...basically guys just throwing heavy stuff (like a keg...yes I said keg...but the announcer made sure to explain that since we were in Utah it was empty) over a 20 ft. pole. It was actually pretty impressive what these guys could do. Our favorite "Strong Man" to watch was a guy in his mid-50's in shorts and loafers (without socks). Compared to everyone else who were decked out in muscle shirts, he made everything look easy. He beat out the younger guys on most of the events. We also saw a lot of kilts, bagpipes, kilts, root beer jugs (that we first mistaked for beer jugs), kilts, knives stowed away in socks, kilts...did I mention kilts? The funny thing to me was that the men would wear kilts and their wives would wear pantsuits...that's a switch isn't it? Here's some pictures from the festivities:

Practicing for the Tattoo (a traditional outdoor music spectacle)

They saw these hats and couldn't resist trying them on.


We missed most of the dancing competitions but we did see some younger dancers perform. I've taken an Irish dance class before so I know how hard this movement is...you have to be ridiculously precise. I was impressed at how well these young dancers performed. 


The kilts....


(do you see the knife tucked away in his sock??)


Our little clan. 
(The guy who took the picture asked us in a Scottish accent if we had ever seen a man in a skirt before...that's why I'm smiling/laughing so big.)


Just the two of us.

I sure do love this man. 

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there was a Scottish festival. Definitely something right up my boy's alley!

    ReplyDelete